Monday, August 11, 2008

Maker's Diet Day 2

Monday, August 11

Breakfast
Vegetable Frittata

Lunch
Coconut Milk Soup

Dinner
Wild Alaskan Salmon with Pecan Pesto
Green salad
Cultured vegetables (make days in advance)

Evening Snack
Carrot, celery, and raw almond butter

So today has been quite a bit more difficult than yesterday to say the very least. I'm so annoyed with my body right now, but there's simply nothing I can do. I've always been very sensitive to what I put into my body. The first time I detoxed from caffeine a few years ago, I was so nauseous for 9 straight days that I thought I was pregnant. When I did the South Beach Diet years ago, by the end of the week I literally slammed a bowl of cereal to prevent blacking out and throwing up. I've always been jealous of those, like my husband and mother, who can go a whole day without eating and merely suffer a bit of hunger. I can't go a meal without my body threatening to revolt in some painful manner: usually through an incapacitating migraine or shakiness served with hot flashes and severe crankiness.

So needless to say, this detox phase has already hit me hard on the second day. I was feeling slightly week this morning, but pushed through and went for a glorious walk in almost chilly weather. The vegetable frittata got thrown out the window due to lack of time this morning, but I'm planning to make it tomorrow morning. So instead I just had a fried egg, which I've yet to perfect, and some leftover stir fry veggies.

Then by about 10am I was starting to feel the usual need for a morning snack. Instead, I went ahead and made the coconut milk soup. For some stupid reason I only bought chicken thighs at the farmer's market and wrestled with those skinny little beasts for about 30 minutes to produce a measly-sized portion of chicken for the soup. There wasn't even enough for a piece every other bite. I won't make that mistake again, and perhaps it is that mistake that caused my downfall later on. The soup was absolutely delicious despite it's lack of chicken, and I will definitely make it a staple. I will probably add A LOT more chicken next time and perhaps some vegetables like green beans or broccoli to thicken it up. I had a small bowl around 10:30, then again at 11:30am with a few slices of cheese.

I then left for a meeting which took much longer than I was expecting. I was starting to feel a bit light-headed at the meeting and was anxiously waiting for it to end so I could return and begin cooking dinner. My body is like a little time bomb. You can't keep it waiting unless you're prepared to pay the consequences. By the time I arrived home, the "bomb" was going off. I looked at the recipe for the wild salmon and realized I might be on the floor passed out by the time it was finished considering the pecans alone had to roast for 20-30 minutes before the recipe really even began! So I ditched that idea and searched for something else I could eat NOW. I remembered I had another can of tuna, and realizing I desperately needed the protein, I whipped up another batch of tuna salad. I also went ahead and had my evening snack of a carrot with raw almond butter (WOW! Is that stuff amazingly rich and good! It better be for the price!)

I started to feel better almost immediately upon putting the first bit of tuna in my mouth. It's really weird how that happens, but then Jordan Rubin says our stomach is like a second brain. Even after all of that protein, however, I'm still feeling a bit light-headed and woozy, like I could just tip over at any moment. I also feel like I'm on the verge of a headache which I'm currently warding off by staying very still. That's usually the only thing that keeps my migraines at bay even once I have one. I wanted to do some painting for our bedroom tonight, and I also wanted to exercise, but I just don't think I have the energy. My brother told me I would feel "lethargic" and that's definitely the best word to describe it. I just didn't know lethargy was going to hit so soon. I hope that perhaps a bit more protein will help tomorrow.

I'm also plan to have an evening snack of strawberries, cheese, almond butter on celery, and tea.

By the way...THE CULTURED CARROTS LITERALLY MADE ME GAG!!! I simply can't do it. I'm afraid Kim Chi and Sauerkraut will always be on my banned list!

No comments: