Monday, August 18, 2008

Dead Chickens

I've always hated touching raw meat (chicken included). Hated it so much that that's one of the reasons I became a vegetarian! Yes, because I didn't want to handle raw meat. But now that I'm on this diet, I'm eating animals again and been doing okay so far.

A long time ago, my mom sent me some medical gloves so that I could handle raw animals better, but I had just become a vegetarian and never used them. They've come in very handy recently! (Get it? "handy"!) Already in just two days I've had to handle, prepare, chop up two whole chickens. The first time wasn't too bad even though I was cutting the raw thing into pieces and it was kind of gross, but I had my handy-dandy gloves that helped my mind stay focused and less grossed-out.

This morning, however, I decided to roast a chicken for the first time in my life so I would have the cooked meat for future recipes. I called my mom for advice and hers was much better and simpler than my cookbook. So I started getting the chicken out of the bag while we were still on the phone. I only had one glove left. So I was partially exposed. When she said I had to get the stuff out of the cavity, (I've dealt with this disgusting feature before years ago and said I would never cook a whole chicken again afterwards) I flipped a little.

Can someone tell me WHY they insist of leaving me parts of the chicken that I never want to touch or see? Luckily, this chicken only had one thing down in the cavity. I screamed that it looked like a "wanker" and mom, peeling with laughter, said that it was probably the neck and to calm down.

Did I mention that I do not like touching dead animals!? But you'll be happy to know I made it through and my chicken is baking and browning and very nicely in the oven as we speak! You'll also be happy to know that mom has promised to buy and send me a box of medical gloves from Costco.

1 comment:

Amber said...

ok hahahaha about "wanker!" and also hahaha because I totally use gloves to cut up chicken too! I just cannot take the feel of raw meat and sometimes it is so cold I just end up getting pissed off and throwing away like half of it. I used to make Adam do it for me (: