Thursday, February 4, 2010

Longings...

As I sit here looking at a new blog site (new to me, anyway), English Muse, I tear up at the pictures of Paris and the idea of Europe and England. What is this longing in my soul for those lands far away? Is it just the idea of the exotic and unusual? Would I be bored if I lived there and had to take out the trash and do dishes just like I do here? Or would my soul be refreshed at the new environment and live life in a compellingly new way? I fear I will never know the answers to these questions. Death doesn't scare me. Public speaking? Who cares? Spiders. I can brave them. But this. This is my greatest fear.

3 comments:

evie said...

you mean you aren't culturally fulfilled living in missouri? can't really believe that!

the same fear haunts me too friend. we are such dreamers.

Linden said...

No, you would not be bored. Every day is an adventure. Even taking out the trash is an adventure because it's different than here (no dragging a huge bin to the curb, just take your trash bags downstairs and put them in the appropriate container (yellow for plastic, green for bio, black for mixed, and blue for paper). Maybe if you stayed for a long time it would get old, but if you are like me, if you have any amount of child-like wonder for the world and culture around you (and I am guessing that you do), it will never get old.

I'd go back in an instant, but I don't want to leave all my friends and family behind. That was the hardest part. I haven't told anyone else this because it's just the what-if dream of two 20-almost-30-somthings, but we'd love to buy/rent a flat in Rome or Liverpool for our retirement. Go live there in the winter, come back here in the summer... Just thinking about it awakens that longing in my soul for those eternally fascinating countries and their people.

Erin said...

Sarah, I didn't even see your post and then I wrote mine on feb. 5. So weird! Maybe it's a girls' trip to france.

Do you miss england? I think God always gives us longings that he is going to fulfill somehow later in our lives.