So it turns out I do have gestational diabetes after all. They called on Monday and left a message saying my levels were "abnormal" again after my long test. I called back to find out what that meant, but never received a return call. Today at my doctor's appointment I asked him more about it and he said if two of the four blood draws were higher than they should be, then the label of gestational diabetes was given. Two of my four were abnormal. However, he did say that since only two of them were abnormal, I would probably be able to control my levels with diet instead of having to be on medication. On the other hand, I will have to check my levels four times a day (yes, that means 4 sticks a day, unless someone knows of a new technology I haven't heard of), and send those levels into a doctor who will monitor them and decide when and if any further action needs to be taken. I'm not very happy right now, but what can I do.
Tuesday I will go in for a class to learn how to take my levels and eat appropriately. Then two weeks after that I'll start going to a perinatologist for check-ups. Thankfully I only have 10 weeks left to go! I'm sure I'll quickly get used to the routine, but at the moment even looking at testing devices on line made me shudder and start feeling slightly queasy. I know I said I was getting over the whole needle thing, and frankly, I am, but this is just a step up in the ranks of things I'm scared of that I'm going to have to fight very hard against. I have always been terrified of "contracting" diabetes, and here I am facing it head on. I should be thankful it's not more severe...I AM thankful it's not more severe, but I have some major fears to face before this is all over.
Despite all of this, I am determined to indulge on both Valentine's Day and my shower! I can't let this bring me all the way down! So if you see me eating cake and cupcakes and all of the other yummy things, don't be surprised. I'm being bad!
1 year ago

3 comments:
I so hope you can manage this well. We will be praying for you!
OH MY GOSH!!! So it really is diabetes! I'm so annoyed for you! Good grief! I'm so sorry!
I am annoyed for you too! Not fun to have to watch your sugar ever, much less when you're pregnant! Poor you! Was the doctor able to reassure you some about baby being ok?
Post a Comment