A few years ago, against Jay's better judgment, I bought this beautiful old bench from my favorite store in Springfield: Quixote. I initially intended it to go upstairs in our office, but considering the size and weight and the odd angle of the door it needed to go through, that didn't happen. Though the bench was amazing, it really didn't fit into our normal-sized home, and so became a point of frequent contention. I couldn't bear to part with it despite its enormity and impracticality. We tried it in several locations and it finally ended up on the back covered deck where it started to fade and weather. I was not happy.

Then one day I had an idea! I told Jay we should cut it into pieces and make it into a head and foot board for our bed. He thought it was a good idea and started taking it apart. I was so thrilled with the results that I thought I'd never have it any other way. But that would be too easy for us! We had to put our mattress on the ground to make it work, which I liked, but Jay wasn't crazy about. And though I loved the foot board, I had to move it out every time I needed to make the bed. It was also a bit hazardous considering the rough edges that stuck out in various locations. On top of that, our bedroom had started out Shabby Chic, but with the rustic headboard, we needed to move in a different direction. But it was a good idea for a while.


Finally, after much debate, we decided to return to our true natures of dark ethnic rustic decor. We have completely redecorated the bedroom (which isn't completely ready to be seen yet). My desire was to have one large piece of furniture with drawers to avoid the typical two dresser set. After looking around for a while and finding nothing that was big enough or cheap enough, the bench was reincarnated into its final form: an over-sized dresser. And it's absolutely gorgeous! Jay did an amazing job, with the help of my ideas of course! And here she is:


6 comments:
Holy bench evolution! Jay is so incredibly talented! The bench/dresser looks amazing. I can't wait to see your room finished. I'm so curious.
And may I add...Holy wall color! Love it!
Oh my gosh- that looks absolutely beautiful- I have seen the bench in person in both prior forms but this is my very favorite. I'll tell Adam to take a look since he helped move it in!
Jay is like a furniture MacGyver. Three toothpicks, a bowling ball and a bottle cap turns into a night stand with matching armoire. Geez!
First off, if you ever move I refuse to help you move that giant behemoth. Physics tells us that matter cannot be destroyed only change states. So that thing still weighs the same metric ton it weighed before.
Secondly, you won't need help moving it because you should just take an axe to it, cart off the pieces to the new house and construct a front door or ceiling beams or maybe, just maybe, you can keep it around for your unborn child's wedding and Jay can build an altar for them - you may know it as a Hopa...
I was actually going to give a shout out to those who had helped move the bench in its various forms! Despite your "physics," I do believe it's a bit lighter now since the drawers can be removed, and it's in a thinner more condensed shape. But I'll remember that you've refused to help! I don't blame you. I think you've covered your "friend favors" and then some!
Not even a titter for the Hopa line? Come on! That was classic. Maybe you need to give Jay administrative oversight for your blog...
:-)
Of course, I'll help you move it. All you had to do was ask. I didn't even realize you guys were moving.
It is pretty though. Even though, it would be prettier if Jay had whittled it from a single piece of wood...
We both laughed out loud if that makes you feel any better. You're pretty hilarious! Jay doesn't do "blogs." He's most definitely against them. So "administrative oversight" would mean canceling all blogs forever! Though when I told him you were commenting he made a very difficult exception. So you should definitely feel privileged and special!
Post a Comment